Are you ready for the most difficult job you’ll ever love?
Do you believe kids – and great food – can change the world?
Do you have six weeks this summer to positively impact the lives of kids in a setting that fosters your growth as well?
Do you want to be part of a small, diverse organic and biodynamic farm and learn about food?
Nature’s Farm Camp at Angelic Organics Learning Center is a week long sleep-away summer camp accredited by the American Camp Association and our counselors play a key role in its success. We hire individuals who will help us provide a fun, hands-on experience to youth while maintaining a nurturing, safe and non-judgemental environment.
We’re looking for people driven by purpose. The camp is about fun, but it’s more than that. Our goal is to help kids develop into competent and confident problem solvers, and Counselors support those efforts. Note: We’re a small camp, just twenty-six kids per week.
Counselors deliver various aspects of farm stay programming, including providing overnight bunkroom (and tent) supervision, family-style meals, and nurturing positive group dynamics to create a healthy group living environment. Counselors also facilitate educational programs and activities with a focus on organic farming, farm to table cooking, art and environmental education. Counselors also lead daily farm chores and group games.
We offer six individual camp sessions, beginning June 21 – 26. Staff training is mandatory and occurs before camp. The counselor work week begins at noon on Sunday and ends at 1 p.m. on Friday. Daily breaks are included. Camp happens at 1936 Rockton Rd, Caledonia, IL.
We offer you:
- Paid training and the ability to learn from our teaching experts.
- Competitive Pay: Counselors earn $300 per week, plus room and board.
- Great food, i.e. local, organic, from scratch.
- A chance to develop your skills that may foster your career growth.
We seek the following Experience, Skills and Qualities:
● Work experience in experiential education with diverse groups.
● Experience in youth supervision and group facilitation.
● Self-motivated learner.
● Highly organized with good communication skills.
● Adaptability, creativity, and independence.
● Ability to recognize and use teachable moments.
● Ability to integrate arts, science and group reflection into your work.
● Experience in cross-cultural environments, and with various ages.
● Energy. A lot of energy. Summer days on the farm are long!
● Curiosity about, and interest in, the following areas: Biodynamic, organic and regenerative farming practices, livestock care, farm ecology, organic and conventional food systems, nutrition, cooking with whole foods, and other skills for sustainability.
● The ability to work outdoors in all weather and to be able to lift up to forty pounds and do physical farm tasks, as needed.
● Bi-lingual candidates (English & Spanish) are encouraged to apply.
Questions? Call or email Tim: 773.580.7780 and firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Rolling
Angelic Organics Learning Center (AOLC) is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. We offer the opportunity to contribute to an organization whose mission builds sustainable local food and farm systems through experiential education and training programs in partnership with rural and urban people.
About Angelic Organics Learning Center is a regional leader helping to regenerate agriculture by building a healthy, green, fair local food and farm culture and economy. Established as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in partnership to Angelic Organics farm in 1999, we reach more than 5,000 people each year through our educational programs and urban growing sites in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. We build sustainable local food and farm systems through experiential education and training programs in partnership with rural and urban people.